Pages

Monday, February 9, 2015

YAL in the 21st Century- Chapters 1 & 2

The official textbook of this class is Young Adult Literature in the 21st Century by Pam B. Cole.  Every two chapters I will post a response to what I've read and answer some discussion questions.

The first chapter of the text is composed of personal stories of adolescence told by authors of young adult literature.  I found Lois Lowry's tale of the Japanese bus driver who decorated the bus for the American children, only to have them tear the decorations down, incredibly moving.  I empathized with the driver for the pain he must have felt after trying to show kindness and also with Lowry as she failed to stand up and speak out.  Many of my childhood memories are of similar moments:  times when I felt something was wrong, but assumed I was too young (or I was simply too cowardly) to speak up.

I remember one particular incident in 8th grade where some girls were making fun of a friend of mine and, not only did I not speak out on behalf of my friend, I actually joined in the mocking.  After all, these girls were cheerleaders.  I had a chance for cheerleaders to like me.  Later I wrote a note about the encounter to my friend, only making the situation worse.  I still look back on that time with shame.  My friend showed incredible maturity to still treat me with kindness.

Chapter 1 ends with an article called "Mrs. Seeton's Whistle" by Jerry Spinelli.  This poignant essay responds to the question "Do you think being a kid helped you to become a writer?"  Spinelli answers with such a rich tribute to childhood that I caught myself tearing up by the end.  His quote "Thank goodness there are plenty of kids out there content enough to let their kidhoods expire in their own good time" particularly moved me.

I was a kid who was content to let her kidhood expire in its own good time.  Sure, I often wished I were older, but I was very cognizant of what I was and was not ready for as a kid and adolescent.  I remember my first kiss at the age of 16.  Many of my friends were already sexually active and, if that was right for them, I have no judgment.  Only they can know that.  But I knew I didn't desire such things yet.  All I wanted was my long-time crush to kiss me.  And one night, he did.  Right in our small town park on a balmy summer evening after the movies.  It was as innocent as a first kiss can get, and, as I drove away, hoping he didn't see my eyes stuck wide and the grin plastered on my face, I knew that I was growing up at exactly the pace for me.

I sticky-noted and flagged the heck out of chapter 2, called "The Young Adult Reader."  This chapter is full of statistics on teen readers, as well as sections on teen reading habits and needs.  I was particularly struck by the comment that reading is a social act.  As teens are about the most social creatures on the planet, this is something I try to use to my advantage.  I have seen them seek out suggestions from their peers; I have seen "non-readers" pick up The Fault in Our Stars because everyone else had read it.

The "Authentic Reading Opportunities" section really hit on what I try to do as a teacher.  Although close reading is essential, I really am cognizant of the question "Am I letting kids just read?"  Worksheets for every chapter, pop quizzes all the time, round robin reading...these strategies are not authentic and often take away the joy of reading for a kid.  I can tell when I'm yammering on too long about a section of a book because kids will tell me.  "Can we get back to reading?" they'll whine.  Well, yes.  Of course you can.

1 comment:

  1. Pure joy to read this post, Ms. VC. I found myself smiling, nodding, and empathizing. Thank you for your honest sharing of your memories of adolescence as they connected to your reading. This is my favorite kind of reading response ... the kind that produces more stories.

    I connected with your memories of 8th grade. Too often, I also was a bystander or participant while the "cool" kids made others feel small. And sometimes I was on the receiving end of their torment.

    I also connected with your first kiss experience ... I was a junior in high school when I had my first kiss and my first "real" boyfriend--the captain of the swim team. However, my grin was a little closer to a grimace as I self-critiqued my kissing abilities and vowed to do better next time. :-)

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete