Pages

Thursday, February 19, 2015

11 of the Best Contemporary Young Adult Books



Reading chapter three of Young Adult Literature in the 21st Century gave me the idea to come up with my own list of best young adult books.  In chapter three most of the books listed are young adult "classics," so my list is specifically contemporary...the things that are great right now.

11 of the Best Contemporary Young Adult Literature Books:


Looking For Alaska by John Green is Green's first and, in my opinion, his best.  The characters are so solid, so funny, and more believable as teens than in some of his other books. Best to go into this one knowing nothing at all.

Every Day by David Levithan is something completely different.  Our protagonist doesn't have his or her own body, he or she inhabits a new body every day and has to live out the day as that person.  Things are going just fine until our protagonist falls in love with Rhiannon and tries anything possible to be with the girl he or she loves.  The only problem...our protagonist looks different every day.  Can Rhiannon love someone who's a black girl one day, a white boy the next?

Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell- the sweetest love story in quite a while.  Deliciously 80s with some family abuse issues that will resonate with many kids.

Beauty Queens by Libba Bray- Oh man, this book is funny.  Great satire, rowdy adventure, and a delightfully diverse cast, including a positive trans* character!

Saving Francesca by Melina Marchetta- Depression hurts so many.  This books heals.

Say What You Will by Cammie McGovern- more from her, please!  Love these protagonists, one with CP and one with OCD.  Resilience and ostracism and loneliness and first loves all done deftly.

Lovely, Dark and Deep by Amy McNamara is perfectly named.  Also deals with depression and trauma and is just so serene.

Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein is historical fiction about WWII and packed full of adventure.  I love the strong female friendships as well.

Delirium by Lauren Oliver was a pleasant surprise for me.  Just when I thought I was over dystopian young adult literature, Oliver changed my mind.  Love is a disease in this novel about teenagers...hmm...


Boy Meets Boy by David Levithan- I know, another Levithan, but his gay-friendly world just makes me smile and long for that as a reality.


The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie- The cartoons, the masterful observations...it's already a classic.






***It should be noted that I observe a lack of works here by writers of color and also a lack of strong, main characters who are people of color.  I am reading a diverse array of literature, but I can see that it's not enough.  Definitely something I'm working on.

4 comments:

  1. Love this post! I read Eleanor and Park this past summer, and adored it. My heart ached for Eleanor. Fangirl is the next Rainbow Rowell book on my list--have you read it? Maybe I should bump it up past the Anne Lamott book I'm planning to read next. Thanks for these recommendations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't get into Fangirl, unfortunately. I gave it to a student who loves E&P and she couldn't finish it either. I think it may be that the college-aged protagonist and college situations don't resonate as much with high schoolers yet.
      But I agree that Eleanor and Park was a refreshing new novel that was just a joy to read!

      Delete
  2. I don't typically read YA, but I've mean to give the Alexie book a try, since I loved The Indian Killer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm that one's on my Goodreads to-be-read list now, thanks!

      Delete