Pages

Monday, May 4, 2015

Chapters 11 & 12 of YAL in the 21st Century

"The classics shouldn't be reserved for exceptional students, and young adult literature shouldn't be reserved for at-risk readers.  When we create that dichotomy, we send an elitist message about the classics and an inferior message about young adult literature--and we fail our students" (513).


Nothing frustrates me more than the highbrow/lowbrow literature discussion.  I once got into a Twitter fight about this with a professor, and I have no regrets. 

Cole writes chapter 11 to integrate the classical canon with young adult literature through themes and motifs.  As always, her tables are accessible and helpful, such as the one that states and theme and then gives both a classic and YA novel that incorporates that theme. 

Chapter 12 continues along those same lines--commenting on the pop culture influence of young adult literature.  "If we examine popular culture texts," Cole argues, "we find stories that mirror life experiences, provide escape outlets, and present commentaries on societal issues" (558).  I have often been shocked at how poignant young adult literature can be, and how true not only to teenage experience, but to human experience. 

I really appreciate her section on companion texts, even including TV shows!  Relevance and buy-in is such a huge part of teaching high schoolers, and Cole gives plenty of resources for both.  She also recommends different magazines, which my students love.  I have so many magazines in my classroom it's unreal.  It doesn't matter if it's the most current issue of Time or an issue of US Weekly from 2013...if it's sitting on a desk, my students will read it. 

And that's what I love most about this textbook--the spectrum of reading material she presents.  So many English teachers are snobs about the "classics" that the joy of reading is lost in their classrooms.  I've long hoped that, if nothing else, my students will leave my room with a love of reading for fun.  This text has helped me on my journey to get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment