Pages

Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Book Review: Shiver

I've started doing a series of videos on Instagram called 15 Second Book Reviews. They are silly and usually occur after a few beers, and a couple weeks ago I made one for Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater. I will expand on it in this review, but the basic arguments I make are that Shiver is basically just Twilight but with werewolves...although wait, Twilight already has werewolves...so it's like if Bella and Edward were werewolves.

Unfortunately, the main characters are about as boring and one dimintional as B+E. I chose this book as brain candy but continually had to force myself to pick it up.  It was just dull.

The basic overview is as follows. Grace is in love with the wolf outside her house. She only sees him in the winter. One time the wolves bit her. She loves her wolf anyway. He has yellow eyes. One day she found a naked, bloody boy outside her door. He had the same yellow eyes. Can you tell where this is going. Are you bored of my writing yet.

It's just so unfortunately formulaic; I'm bored even remembering it. There is one amusing part where three teenagers steal a vile of meningitis and infect their friends with it...too bad I only laughed because it was so stupid. There are just so many more engaging fantasy or paranormal reads out there; don't bother with this one.

One out of five Bella Swans.


1 comment:

  1. This made me laugh after a long week. Glad I didn't bother picking up this book ... I may remove it from my office shelves after this scathing review!

    ReplyDelete